Danny Osborne is an international artist currently based in Ireland and Canada. At the core of his practice is a connection to the geologic landscape. He communicates what he learns from a deep engagement with natural phenomena. Osborne looks at rock formations as a means of expression of the earth’s crust – this has inspired his interest in volcanic and glacial environments, as well as his mastery in stone carving. In the arctic, he embarked on solo expeditions to remote regions to paint and sculpt with material that he extracted from the land.
Osborne discovered his passion for volcanoes and lava material after a trip to the Andes in 1984. Over the course of four extensive trips working on volcanoes in Guatemala and Hawaii, he has invented a technique to cast lava into sculpture directly from an active volcanic vent. His work has resulted in a year-long travelling exhibition across Ireland.
Danny Osborne Abbreviated CV
Solo and Group Exhibitions
- Landmarks and Lifeforms: An exhibition by Danny Osborne and Frieda Meaney, Uillin West Cork Art Centre, Limerick City Gallery of Art, and Highlanes Municipal Art Gallery Drogheda, Ireland
- Floe Edge: Contemporary Art and Collaborations from Nunavut. Urban Shaman, Winnipeg, MB
- Lightening Speak: Solo + Collaborative Work with Raven Chacon, Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center, Colorado College
- Lightening Speak: Solo and Collaborative Work with Raven Chacon. University of New Mexico Art Gallery, Albuquerque, NM
- Floe Edge: New art and collaborations from the north, AXENÉO7 Gatineau PQ
- Gauge: Collaborative film made in Iqaluit, NU, Nuit Blanche at TIFF Bell Lightbox, Toronto, ON and University of New Mexico Art Gallery, Albuquerque, NM
- Gauge: Collaborative film made in Iqaluit, NU. Nuit Blanche at TIFF Bell Lightbox,Toronto, ON. Collaboration with the PA System and Raven Chacon.
- New Work, Nunatta Sunakkutaangit Museum, Iqaluit, Nunuvut (Solo exhibition)
- Mile after Mile, Feheley Fine Arts. Toronto. (Solo exhibition)
- Northern Exposure. National Art Centre Exhibition at SAW Gallery, Ottawa. Canada
- International Sculpture Festival. Labytnangi, Siberia, Russia.
- Iqaluit Visual Artists. Nunatta Sunakkutaangit Museum, Iqaluit.
2010 Red Hot Lava Sculpture, Nunatta Sunakkutaangit Museum, Iqaluit (Solo Exhibition)
2008 Meta Incognita Nunatta, Sunakkutaangit Museum, Iqaluit
2005 C2 Contemporary Art from Cork, Crawford Municipal Art Gallery, Cork
- Woodcuts, Taylor Galleries, Dublin.
- Currents, Office of Public Works Travelling Exhibition, Dublin and Belfast, Ireland.
2002 Forms of Ice, Nunatta Sunakkutaangit Museum, Iqaluit.
2001 Rock, Taylor Galleries, Dublin, Ireland.
1994 Making People, Taylor Galleries, Dublin.
1991 The Land that Never Melts, Cibeal Arts Festival, Kenmare.
1985 Halfway to Heaven, Taylor Galleries, Dublin.
1982 Arctic Journey, Butler House, Kilkenny Arts Week.
1981 Arctic Journey, Taylor Galleries, Dublin.
1980 Geophysical Phenomena in West Cork, Taylor Galleries, Dublin.
1977 Three months on the land, Neptune Gallery, Dublin.
2013 Nunuvut Land Claims Monument, with Lotty Pijimina, Inuk Charlie, Paul Malachi, Iqaluit, Nunuvut
2012 Revolving Tree Carving,sculpture, Labytnangi Council, Yamal-Nenet Autonomous Region, Siberia
2009 High Arctic Exiles, sculpture memorial, with Lotty Pijimina, Grise Fjord, Nunuvut
2006 Official Portraits for Speakers of the Legislative Assembly of Nunavut, paintings, Nunuvut
2001 Brennan & Company Sculpture, mixed media and stone sculpture, Dublin, Ireland.
2000 First Breath, sculpture, Millennium Sculpture Park, Kilrush, Ireland.
1999 Horus, sculpture, Vale de Lobo, Portugal.
- Conor O’Brien, portrait sculpture, Royal Cruising Club, Dun Laoighre, Ireland
- Rock-a-bye baby, public sculpture, Trinity Medical Research Institute, Dublin, Ireland
1997 Oscar Wilde Monument, Merrion Square, Dublin, Ireland
1993 Trophy for Eurovision Song Contest, Europe
1986 Halfway to Heaven, Best Film on Exploration, International Film Festival of Mountaineering and Exploration, Trento, Italy
Selected Permanent Collections
Allied Irish Banks
Allihies Mining Museum
AIB Investment Bank
Arts Council of Ireland.
Bank of Ireland.
Canada Council, Art Bank.
Contemporary Irish Art Society.
Investment Bank of Ireland.
Irish Museum of Modern Art.
Kilrush Urban District Council.
Labytnangi Council, Yamal-Nenet Autonomous Region, Siberia
Legislative Assembly of Nunavut.
National Self-Portrait Collection of Ireland.
Nunatta Sunakkutaangit Museum.
Office of Public Works.
Qikiqtani Inuit Association.
Trinity College Medical Research Institute.